The Pan-galactic Gargleblaster of my mind

05 December 2005

Hell Freezes Over

25/10/05

I've never really considered myself to have been spoiled, but after only a few days in Morocco I am beginning to understand that being American, in and of itself, means I have been spoiled. A few things I never expected to do, prior to moving here:

1. Wash clothes by hand. I mean, other than delicates. I mean, like socks and shirts and normal clothes that are meant to be thrown into the washing machine! Who washes clothes by hand?! Apparently, I do, now that I live in Morocco.

2. Piss over a hole in the ground. Really, how do people do that without splashing at least a little bit on their feet? I'm figuring out it's all about the aim. If you can get it directly in the hole, you minimise splashing. (More detail on said holes in the ground later)

3. Calmly standing next to a half-a-cow which is hanging in front of the counter at my local butcher shop. Can't these things fit in the back with you, Mister? It's worse when at the souk, though. There are cow and sheep heads, still intact, on display near the butchers' stalls. Sensitive vegetarians "steer" clear. Seriously.

4. Buying (and eating) bread and produce I KNOW has had at least 15 or 20 people handle and squeeze it to check for freshness. Vegetables I can wash. Bread -- well, you get the picture. So far I'm still alive.

So next time you think you're having a hard time without that dishwasher or the satellite TV, remember there are those of us on the other side of the globe who are cozying up to carcasses and injesting the dead skin cells of a couple dozen different people with our breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home