The Pan-galactic Gargleblaster of my mind

14 March 2006

Timing is everything in comedy


This morning Shan and I were sitting at one of the little tables in the classroom preparing some work for the children, who were in the middle of a pretty damn good Quiet Game. Shan says to me, "I just got a mad craving for Chinese food." To which I answered, "Mmmm, yeahhh. That sounds gooooooood."

Not an especially funny scenario, except that about the time Shan says she wants Chinese food, Oddvar lets rip a huge, ferocious burp. To which I answered, "Mmmm, yeahhh. That sounds goooooood."

Shan and I exchanged a brief glance as our brains struggled to process it and suppress it. Beat. Blink, blink, blink. And then burst out laughing. At which time the kids burst out laughing. And then we all floated up to the ceiling and spent the next half hour trying to remember how Mary Poppins got everyone to come down once they got up there.

The culprit, seemingly mild-natured and quiet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home